v1.2.4 Beta 1 is available

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2010 at 4:03 PM
Edited Jul 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM
Finally. PerceptiveMCAPI v1.2.4 Beta has been released.
  • Supports the Interest Grouping Api changes announced by MailChimp Api v1.2.6
  • Wrapper enhancements for easier customization & integration
  • Wrapper bug fixes & minor tweaks
  • MailChimp Api v1.2.7, EXCEPT 'Static Segments' (to be included in Beta 2)
Make sure you read the changelog in the download -- there is one small, but annoying "breaking change" relating to input parameters.

Short version; where you used to specify: input.propertyname, you now need to use input.parms.propertyname.

Beta 2 is targeted for Aug 1.

Enjoy.
Jul 22, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Hi David:

The new beta release is great!  Thanks for your great work on this.

Not sure if this is the correct place to post issues in the Beta release, but I figure you'll want to know this.  In the listInterestGroupingAdd method, the listInterestGroupingAddOutput object returns an error, as follows:

response contains string value where integer expected [response]

at CookComputing.XmlRpc.XmlRpcSerializer.ParseString(XmlNode node, Type ValueType, ParseStack parseStack, MappingAction mappingAction) etc. etc....

MailChimp's API says an integer should be returned from this method, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Have you encountered this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jon

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2010 at 5:00 AM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 5:03 AM

Argh! Thanks for finding this.

I must have missed testing this one with the xml-rpc request type in my rush to go on vacation and thought it was done when i came back. I tend to test serial/json & then go back to do xml-rpc afterward.

Unfortunately, this type of thing is all too common in the MC Api -- one of the many reasons I use intermediate result classes for the complex output methods is to try and isolate changes and other things not quite right in the documentation.

The never ending struggle between chaos & order -- or loosely & strictly typed languages.  PHP developers will never see this issue.

I don't want to do an intermediate results class for a simple value, so I'm going to submit this as an issue for MailChimp to resolve.

A work-around in the interim is to use a serial/json request meanwhile if you can do that.

Thanks again,

David

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Thanks David for your quick response. 

The workaround will work fine in the meantime.  The good news is that the return value can be retrieved later through a call to listInterestGroupings, but the list is getting created in MailChimp, and that is the most important thing.

Jon

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 1:11 AM
Jesse (The M.C. api guy) fixed this issue today -- So xml-rpc works fine for listInterestGroupingAdd() now.
Jul 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
Aug 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Any update on b2? I'm looking at static segments and starting to think it makes a lot of sense for our project. Thanks and not trying to rush you at all, just curious!

Edit: Whoops! I see it here: http://perceptivemcapi.codeplex.com/releases/view/40074 I'll go take a look.

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Live v1.2.4 will be out within a few minutes.

David