List Add, Delete, and Update

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Hi David,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for creating this API. It has been very helpful. I really appreciate it.

I have some questions regarding creating, deleting, and updating a list. I have been looking at the /Methods/List/ folder and inspecting the classes. However, I do not see the classes that can perform those actions to a list. I am still utilizing the version 1.2.2, but are they somewhere in the API and I just don't see them?

Also, there are listMergeVar* and listWebhook* classes within the Methods/List/ folder. May I know what they are for?

Thank you,

Ervi

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Hi Ervi,

MailChimp purposely excludes the creating and deleting of lists through the api as a spam prevention measure -- so those methods aren't in the api at all.  That discussion has come up on the api forum a number of times, mailchimp is adamant about not supportting those features, and I mostly agree with them.

So while you can't add/delete a list, you can subscribe, unsubscribe, and update members -- and add/update custom data fields -- which is what the merge_vars are all about.

If you go to...

http://www.mailchimp.com/api/

you'll see a lot of information about the api, samples, method signatures, etc., and a page on what/how webhooks work  -- my .NET wrapper just makes it easier for .NET folks to use, since the api is written mainly with a PHP frame of mind; i.e. loosely typed variables, jagged arrays, etc.  And it helps to play around in the web admin, since the api basically provides the same functionality, just programmatically.

I have individual classes defined for each MailChimp api method listed in their documentation, so if you look at the MC method doc. you'll see that I'm doing the same api calls, with a front/back end process (with multiple options) to make it easy for .NET folks.

Also, for getting help & hints about what's going on with the mailchimp api itself, the api forum at ...

http://groups.google.com/group/mailchimp-api-discuss?pli=1

has excellent support.

Let me know if you have any questions about the .NET wrapper.

Hope that helps.

David